What We Do
The Writing Improvement Network (WIN) serves as a professional development resource for South Carolina (SC) Pre K-12 teachers. WIN uses teacher experts to provide training in the implementation of research-based best practices in teaching students to become better readers and writers and provides guidance in choosing professional development and classroom resources.
Our services include:
- Working side-by-side with teachers to improve instructional strategies and materials for all aspects of literacy: reading, writing, vocabulary, research and technology.
- Working directly with students (as teachers observe) to demonstrate effective instructional strategies for all aspects of literacy across the curriculum (e.g. ELA, science, social studies).
- Assisting teachers with development of instructional materials and classroom assessments that align to the correct grade-level and appropriate cognitive rigor of academic standards.
- Demonstrating for teachers how to analyze available test information to improve instruction.
- Reviewing district ELA curriculum for alignment and rigor and recommending revisions.
- Assisting teachers in transitioning instruction and assessments.
- Providing off-site workshops – often by grade band (PreK -5, 6-12) – for teachers and administrators across the state to learn specific instructional strategies and share their own professional experiences with others.